Sunday, December 7, 2014

Crate Light...with a Christmas twist...

Chipping with Charm: Grate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/
You might remember that when I shared my KITCHEN REDO I mentioned that I was waiting on a unique light fixture for over the picnic table.  


Above the island, we made pendant lights out of pickle jars.  Basically, I found XL pickle jars at the thrift store and spray painted the lids white.  Next, we drilled holes in the lids(one for the socket and few more to let the heat out.  I only used 40 watt clear bulbs).  The nickel finish pendant set was purchased at Menards.  
Pretty simple.
Chipping with Charm: Minnow Basket Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/
The minnow basket pendants in front of the windows were even simpler...for me.  My husband did have to snip some of the metal back so that the socket would fit down in the hole.  Same pendant kit from Menards.
Both pretty easy...when you have a "handy man" who can do electrical projects.  
I knew the next idea was going to be a little more difficult so I waited patiently for the right base for the idea in my head...
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/ Then I found this cool old crate and I knew it was "time"
I grew up near the Sears...I remember going there as a little girl.  I can still smell the popcorn popping from that little snack kiosk.  Memories...
I actually grew up on 42nd and Longfellow...so this find was extra fun.  
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/ We drilled 3 holes for the out door sockets we purchased...
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/ 
My husband wired them together inside for one cord.
(Check with your local codes for wiring...or hire someone who knows them :)
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/
Hung from 4 small eye bolts and a chandelier kit chain.
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/
 I am happy with how it looks just like this...most of the year...
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/ 
...but I couldn't resist junking it up for Christmas.
The greens are just draped over the top of the box to avoid the wires inside.
Chipping with Charm: Hanging Crate Light Fixture...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/
 An S-hook holds an embellished wheel
It's really hard for me to get a good picture in this area...but hopefully you get the idea.
Chipping with Charm: Cocoa Tray Centerpiece...http://www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com/
It's a great spot for a cup of cocoa and a board game.

Sharing this at...
Funky Junk Interiors...Christmas Junk Party
Show and Share at Coastal Charm 
Vintage Inspiration Party 

My son celebrated his 11th birthday yesterday.  My husband a few kids snow tubing to celebrate.  There wasn't room for me in the car...so here I am enjoying a quiet afternoon alone.  
I'll get that cocoa ready for later :)

Hope everyone is having a happy Sunday.
Chat soon,

18 comments:

  1. The crate light is super cool Laurel! Actually all of your loghts are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh... oh my gosh... a crate. How genius are you?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurel - ALL of these lights are fantastic, but the Sears crate light is super. Really cool. Especially all junked up.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your light fixtures are awesome, Laurel...and how fun to find a crate with the Longfellow address! I bet you'll find lots of ways to decorate it all year! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a home! I am absolutely in love! Charm in every corner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super super great Laurel. You are so creative and have such great vision. Love this light fixture over your table. Awesome.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very nice!! I love the Christmas Junkin' decor! Merry Christmas Laurel!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurel- What great light fixtures...that box one is really something special. I love it! Happy birthday to your son. I am sure you were heartbroken that you couldn't go sledding with them...ahem....xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your home:) These lamps are all great ideas!

    kisses from Poland:*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your light looks very cute and festive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It looks so festive and I'm sure you'll find more clever ways to show it off during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a super neat looking light fixture...LOVE IT!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Laurel...what an idea!!!! I must pin this now...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday to your son! My daughter's was the 7th. Love the creative way you repurpose items into functional decor. Your new light fixture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore all your light fixtures but that crate one is the best one SO creative!

    I remember when Sears used to have the candy and nut kiosk in the middle of the store ad I would beg my dad to buy me a small bag of cashews. They would always be warm. Sears also used to sell a brand of chocolate chip cookies that were so good - It was a brand called Heilmanns or something like that Do you remember them?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! Please also feel free to contact me through email or on my Chipping with Charm Facebook page. I love hearing from you :)